I’m doing the “Couch to 80k” – a writing bootcamp from writer and poet Tim Clare. For more information go here: http://www.timclarepoet.co.uk/couchto80kwritingbootcamp/
Write a list of problems or scenarios a character might face. Doesn’t have to be specific but it helps. Can be serious or have an element of fantasy.
- The key has broken off in a door and now they’re locked in a room and need to get out to pee.
- They have an important interview but the iron is broken and the shirt is very creased.
- They receive a letter from a person they haven’t spoken to in years but can’t bring themselves to open it.*
- They have been kidnapped by space pirates.*
- They have been shrunken by an insane wizard and need to get to normal size before a certain time of they’ll stay that way forever.*
- They are lost in the Rockies with nothing but a diary and a pickle fork.
- They are on a plane filled with people and the cabin crew have just asked “can anyone fly a plane?”**
- They have lied on their CV and have now has been asked to do the task they specifically said they can do.
- They have to wrap an important gift but only have baking paper and no sellotape.
- They have a USB key filled with secrets and are being chased by spies. They need to get the key to a specific place.
- They have found themselves in an Avengers Team Meeting and now everyone assumes they have superpowers.
- They are in prison for something they didn’t do and need to prove their innocence.
- They need to get from A to B but only have a bike with no pedals.
- They are desperately hungry and have a tin of beans but no tin opener.
- They already have two dogs but are desperate for a third.***
- They are lost with no SatNav
- Their best friend is coming round for a visit and they’ve only just remembered it’s the best friends birthday and there is no gift for them.
- Their hearing aid batteries run out while in hospital and they hospital doesn’t carry replacements.****
*An actual plot point in one of my started books!
**I’d love this to happen to me so I can say “Yes! I can!”
***May be an actual issue I”m facing now!
****Actually happened to me!
I found this exercise a lot of fun. I got to include some of the scenarios my characters are currently facing in the books I”m attempting to write but I also added more and it gave me some thoughts around adding those as plot points. I’m already merging some of them and seeing how they’ll fit.
Be the first to comment